Qatar Ministry urges residents to carry ID cards always

  • February 14, 2017
  • internetQatar
  • 2 min read

The Ministry of Interior (MoI) has urged all residents in Qatar to carry their identity cards at all times as it is the only proof of identity and proof of valid residency.

The MoI highlighted the importance of showing the ID cards at the request of authorities. If lost inside or outside of Qatar it must be reported to the General Directorate of Passports and get lost ID card replaced.

Brigadier Nasser Jaber al-Attiyah, Assistant Director of the General Directorate of Passports, said losing an ID card outside of the country makes it harder for the resident to return unless the authorities issue a Return Permit for Resident.

The directorate issued a circular to all authorities concerned worldwide and airlines, that the ID card is the only supporting document for Qatari residents after residency stickers on passports were discontinued, al-Attiyah added.

In addition, the residents must show their ID cards at all airports, platforms and airline desks to be allowed to travel to Qatar, where airlines may check the validity and information of the cards through the MoI’s website.

He referred to article No15 of the Law which states that “in the event that his (resident) passport, travel document, or residency permit is lost or damaged, the foreign national shall inform the competent authorities immediately after he learns that it has been lost or damaged and obtain a copy of that which was lost or damaged.”

Brigadier Mohamed Saleh al-Kuwari, head of the Residence Division at General Directorate of Passports, said if the ID cards are lost inside Qatar, the resident or the representative of his company must head to one of the service centres to fill a lost ID form, submit his passport for verification, pay QR200 as fees for the lost report and get a new card issued.

If the ID is lost outside of Qatar, the resident must file a report in the country where it is lost, attest the report from the authorities in the foreign country and send a copy to the resident’s representative in Qatar to be able to issue a Return Permit for Resident, which too costs QR200.

The permit is then sent to the resident abroad to enable him or her to enter the country.Once he arrives in the country, the resident must head to the Expatriates Affairs Department to submit a lost report and get a new card issued.[gulfTimes]