The Hamad Medical Corporation’s (HMC) Ambulance Service fulfills a vital role for the people who live in Qatar – one that saves lives. Every emergency that the Ambulance Service is called out to offers different challenges in terms of the type of injuries, the number of people affected by the emergency incident, the location of the incident and the kind of support that’s required. On an average, HMC’s Ambulance Service receives 100,000+ calls every year, to which 1,454 staff, 167 ambulances, 20 rapid response vehicles and HMC’s fleet of helicopters respond to as fast as possible.
Hamad Medical Corporation’s Ambulance Service’s ‘Know the 5 to save a life’ national awareness campaign is aimed at educating the public about the key actions to take when calling an ambulance in an emergency situation.
However, this is possible only when there is support from the community – from the people who live in this society, and who have the responsibility of helping to save lives by taking the right actions at the right time.
And, that’s why HMC’s Ambulance Service just recently relaunched its ‘know the 5 to save a life’ national awareness campaign which is targeted towards educating the public in Qatar about the five different actions that need to be taken when dialling for an ambulance in case of an emergency situation. The campaign first run in 2013 and has been relaunched this year as a reminder to people so that ambulances can provide the best support possible as fast as possible and more lives can be saved by doing the five actions, that we will discuss in this article.
1. Dial 999 immediately If you or a loved one are involved in an emergency situation, immediately call 999. The sooner you dial that number, the sooner the ambulance can get to you.
2. Know your location In case of an emergency, it’s very important to know where you are and what your location is so you can tell the Ambulance Service. If you know where you are, the ambulance can be sent to you straight away.
3. Answer all questions By this time, the ambulance is already on its way to the emergency location. Any extra details, no matter how small, that you can give the Service with regards to the emergency situation are critically important in helping to save a life.
4. Follow all instructions The Ambulance Service may give you important instructions on your phone while an ambulance rushes to the scene of the emergency that can help to save a life. Make sure you follow any, and all, of the instructions the Service gives you as it could be the difference between life and death for someone.
5. Give way to ambulances Always, always give way to ambulances on the road. Move to the side immediately and give way as every second an ambulance remains stuck in traffic could well be the difference between life or death for the person involved in the emergency. Remember an ambulance stuck behind you in traffic may well be going to your home.Courtesy:Hamad Medical Corporation and I Love Qatar